Christi Friesen is my favorite artist; so it's not surprising that I love her product line. I put together a kit with her Flutter Wings texture sheet and my favorite Surface FX colors - Reflections and Tide Pool, a bonus brush, two EasyCollar templates, eye screws, bails, chain, and jump rings, and an LED Freeze Light to create your butterfly dangle with UV Resin.
Snow Queen Collar Kit
1 bar each Sculpey Premo Accents in Pearl and White Gold Glitter
UV Resin - Lisa Pavelka Magic Glos or your UV resin brand of choice.
Sculpey Bake n'Bond
Glass or metal bowl
Craft Knife & Clay Blade
Torch Type Lighter
Parchment or Waxed Paper
Begin by cutting out your template. Lay 1 template on a piece of scrap cardboard (cereal boxes work well). Either cut the shape out as it is, or adjust the depth of the curve by place a bowl over it and tracing a new line. I like to have the original and a smaller one to choose from.
1. Blend 1 bar of Pearl and 1/2 bar of White Gold Glitter, create a 5x7” sheet on the thickest setting.
2. Texture the sheet with your butterfly stamp and with any texture tools you like. Lift the sheet with your blade and place it parchment or waxed paper. Lay template on the clay and cut out the shape. Then add micas and glitter to the sheet. I brushed the Reflections over the whole surface, then added the Tide Pool over it for a muted effect. Set this piece aside and use the remaining clay and the other half of the Glitter clay to create the second 5x7” sheet.
3. Lay the plain sheet onto the bowl. Lightly embed eye screws and bails as you desire. Bake at 275 for 45 minutes.
4. While the base is baking, make your butterfly. Use your brush to place mica powder into the butterfly stamp. I used Christi Friesen Tide Pool Surface FX in the recessed areas, then I brushed over the entire mold with CF Reflections. Squeeze Magic Glos into the mold, being careful not to disturb the mica powder. Let it settle for a minute. If there are bubbles, pass a lighter over the surface. Cure for 6-8 minutes with the UV Freeze Light or place in larger UV light for 5 minutes. Make two wings. On a pad of unbaked scrap clay, place a bail in the center. Press the wings lightly into the clay, just enough to center the bail and hold them in place. Squeeze a drop of Magic Glos on the bail and wings. Cure for 5 minutes. Turn it over and do the same on the back.
5. Remove base from the oven and cool. Add a dab of super glue on the eye screws and bails. Cover the surface of the base with Bake n’Bond.
6. Place the decorative sheet over the base. Smooth edges. Bake for 1 hour at 275.
7. Seal the cooled collar with Magic Gloss or your glaze of choice.
8. Hang your butterfly in the center. Add beads, dangles or charms as desired. Add chain & clasp. Enjoy!